I remember coming home sullen one day because we'd lost a softball game. Grandma, in her wisdom, suggested, "Maybe a slice of my homemade apple pie will make you feel better." One bite, and Grandma was right. If you want to learn how to make homemade apple pie filling, this is really the only recipe you need.
- 10 small, 8 medium or 6 huge Apples
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cups or 125 g All Purpose / Plain flour
- 1 1/2 stick / 6 oz or 170 g butter
- 1 cup or 200 g regular sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup or 55 g chopped nuts – walnuts or pecans
- Set oven to 350 F, Gas 4, 180 C
- Grease your pie dish.
- Peel and slice the apples (enough to fill plate 3/4 full).
- Mix 1 Tbsp sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the apples.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter then take off heat.
- Combine flour, salt and Sugar in a bowl, then add 1 egg, and the melted butter.
- Add chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans).
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden. Set on a rack (if you can, as I usually have someone cutting into it while piping hot, and not set up.Spread batter evenly over the apples.